How do I create my music? Well, you can also ask Leonardo Da Vinci, which or what kind of inspiration moved him to create those famous drawings or sketches.
Whether you swing a brush over the canvas or play a piano with your fingers, artistically the same result comes: a beautiful painting or a good song (or a ugly picture).
But now back to me. For me, I have five steps definded
1. The first idea is a simple chord or synth step – what ever – in my mind. Alternatively, when I play the piano to myself, one or the other idea may come up. Usually something places itself in my imagination!
2. When my idea is semi-clear, I create some kind of formulary. I create audio part by audio part with the sounds (drum, percussion, bass, synth steps, synth pads, …). In this step I separate the frequencies for each audio track. I use minimal Compression/Limiting/Maximize or Sidechain for selected tracks or/and in the groups (drums, bases, synthsteps), if necessary.
3. In the next step is the arragement. It also happens here that I change a audio part to another, because it might not good or this or that could be better.
4. When I think my track is ready, I mixdown the groups. Here I use automation curves for loudness or for EQ bands. Also Compression/Limiting/Maximize for separete parts or in the sum.
5. And at last the final mixdown and the track is ready.
Well, step 4 and 5 could I do all in one, but my Laptop is not really a hardware monster. So I have to split it.
More or less, that´s it.